Apply Now – Sutton Trust US Programme for State School Students
Free scheme gives bright state school students a taste of life at an American university.
Watch the video about the US Sutton Trust programme
Calling all State school pupils!
Here’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to sample the quality of life in the United States. The Sutton Trust, an educational charity based in the United Kingdom that aims to improve social mobility and give less wealthy students the chance to study at some of the best universities in America, is seeking applications for a unique experience.
After a successful first year the Sutton Trust US Programme is expanding to give bright, state school students a taste of life at an American university. The initiative is centred on a one-week summer school in the US with introductory events and application support in the UK before and after.
One America’s leading institutions, Harvard University, will be a host for the 2014 programme alongside MIT, The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a private research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts traditionally known for research and education in the physical sciences and engineering, and Yale University.
Successful students will take part in this unique opportunity to get a taste of US culture and higher education first hand and receive personalised support if they decide to apply for their undergraduate studies at an American university. (Find out the benefits of US study!)
The Sutton Trust will also provide other benefits to participants, such as covering costs for all residential events, accommodation and travel.
The programme includes:
- A week-long visit to the States where students will get a taste of US higher education and culture
- Four UK based residentials to receive comprehensive admissions advice
- Support from our dedicated team of knowledgeable advisors throughout the process of applying for admissions and financial aid at American universities
- In-depth admissions test preparation
- Guidance for parents and teachers
- A chance to meet other UK students interested in studying in the US
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be in Year 12* or equivalent (eg S5 in Scotland)
- Attend a state school or college
- Not hold US citizenship
We are looking for applicants meeting all (or most) of these criteria:
- Have earned 8 or more As or A*s at GCSE or the equivalent (eg 7 or more credit passes at Scottish Standard Grade)
- Are from low or middle income families
- Show commitment to the programme and interest in US culture and higher education
- We also welcome applications from students who would be the first in their families to go to university or for whom the programme would be a transformational experience
*If you are not yet in Year 12, you are a bit head of the game for this year’s programme. You may register your interest for next year’s programme by completing this online survey.
Application: Students may apply online at www.suttontrust.com.
Student Application Deadline: 22 January 2014 (by noon)
School Reference Deadline: 27 January 2014 (by noon)
For more information about the Sutton Trust US Programme: Visit the US Programme section of the Sutton Trust website. We will also be hosting a webinar about the programme on Tuesday, 3 December (4 pm – 5 pm). Be sure to tune in for more information about study in the US and the programme as well as US programme application tips! Sign up for the webinar: https://stapplicantwebinar.eventbrite.co.uk/
This programme is being delivered in partnership with the US-UK Fulbright Commission.