SOUTH EAST REGIONAL FINAL 2017
Students from Beech Grove School were crowned Best Overall Company at the Young Enterprise South East Regional Final. The final, held at the Dorking Halls on 15th June, celebrated the young people who set up and run a student company over the academic year as part of the HSBC supported Young Enterprise Company Programme.
Eight teams from Kent, Surrey, Sussex and the Channel Islands competed for prizes across many categories. The winning team, Umakit from Beech Grove School, went on to represent the South East of England at the UK Company of the Year final in London on July 6th and won the Disney Creativity Award!
The schools competing in the South East Young Enterprise Company Programme final were:
- RGS Guildford: GoBillou – Multilingual cookbook
- Guernsey Schools: Supernova – Recycled slate products
- Imberhorne School: RIPPS – Revision tips
- Beech Grove Academy: Umakit – Creative educational kits for young children
- Claremont Fan Court School: Coasters Combined – Personalised coasters
- Davidson High School for Girls: Lunaria – Flow crowns
- Jersey Schools: Four Squared – Upcycled glass products
- Bennet Memorial School: Lumos – Recycled candle holders
The winning team, Umakit, created and sold creative educational kits for young children. The team said that they were “amazed and thrilled to have won and to be going to the national finals!”
The companies were judged by Dominic Grinstead (Met Life), Jonathan Sharrock (Coast to Capital LEP), Katie Cox (South East Water), Peter Quilter (Nat West) and Tom Wilson (ExxonMobil).
- Best Video Advert: GoBillou
- Disney Creativity Award: Coasters Combined
- Asda Social Enterprise: Lumos
- Highly Commended: Foursquared
- Best Trade Stand: GoBillou
- Best Company Report: UMakeIt
- Best Company Presentation: RIPS
- South East Company of the year: UMakeIt
Tom Wilson (ExxonMobil), said “Congratulations on a very successful event today, it was great to be a part of it. I thought the quality of the companies was superb.”
Peter Quilter (NatWest) : “The whole event was superb and I came away highly motivated and privileged to have taken part.”
Katie Cox (South East Water) : “I honestly had the most amazing day on Thursday so thank-you for letting me part of it. It was very refreshing to be around such positive, enthusiastic, and talented young people. I think they all have bright futures ahead of them if they can retain that kind of attitude and approach.”
Jonathan Sharrock (CEO, Coast to Capital LEP) : “Thank you Bracey – I had a great time at the event and was very pleased to meet you and your team. I look forward to working with you again.”
Rebecca Tonks (Senior Enterprise Co-ordinator, Coast to Capital LEP) “It was a truly inspiring event”.