Becoming a Young Enterprise volunteer will challenge and reward you. The excitement and satisfaction of mentoring, of transforming attitudes and helping young people open their eyes to the world of enterprise keeps many of our volunteers coming back year after year.
Business Adviser Role:
Business Advisers are volunteers who guide a group of young people in setting up and running their own student company. As a mentor you will:
- Have regular (weekly) meetings with your group of young people
- Share your skills, experience and insights of the world of work
- Provide motivation and inspiration to the students
- Encourage students to reflect on the skills they are developing & identify how they can use these skills in the future
- Help students gain an understanding of how a company works – including aspects such as marketing, operations and finance.
Business Advisers will be placed on one of our Company based programmes:
- Company Programme: Students find out what it’s like to set up and run a business throughout one academic year
- Team Programme: Designed to aid the transition from education to independent living for SEN students
- Start-up Programme: University students set-up and run a real business or social enterprise over the academic year
Who can sign up?:
Anyone seeking to get involved with the local community, work with and inspire young people, and for those who want to develop their own skills and broaden their knowledge. All you need is enthusiasm, commitment and a willingness to share your experiences with a group of young people. No specific business skills are required. You will need to:
- Be available one hour per week – usually after school (term-time only)
- Be enthusiastic about helping steer a group of young people to use their initiative, demonstrate entrepreneurial flair and creativity
- Have an enhanced DBS check due to the nature of the role (funded by YE)
If you want to find out more about volunteering then get in touch. Please remember to specify which geographical area you would like to volunteer in.
We are looking for mentors across the UK but specifically need people in the following areas:
- Black Country
- North East
- South East
- Tees Valley
- West Somerset