Target age group: 15-19
Key stage: 4 and 5
Group size: Flexible; up to 25 students per company, multiple companies can run from the same school / college
Length: Up to one academic year
Running throughout one academic year, students find out what it’s really like to set up and run a business. Students make all the decisions about their company, from deciding on the company name and product to creating a business plan, managing the company finances, selling to the public at trade fairs to ultimately winding up the company and paying their taxes. All this takes place with the support of a volunteer Business Adviser who brings a wealth of business knowledge and expertise.
Young Enterprise helps teachers embed practical business skills and the government’s statutory guidance on careers advice in the curriculum. A number of exam boards map Company against a range of their qualifications.
The Company Programme culminates in the UK Final which this year featured 14 teams battling it out to be crowned UK Company of the Year and to go on to the JA-YE European Final.
Why choose this programme?
- Develop key employability skills: 95% of young people felt they have improved at least one key employability competency (Company Programme Impact Report from 2015/16)
- 95% of centre leads would recommend the Young Enterprise Company Programme to others (CP Impact Report)
- Can be run flexibly in curriculum or as an after school activity
- Supports a range of qualifications and University entrance
- Greater self awareness to recognise personality types, strengths and weaknesses and what this means for personal development and for working as part of a team
- First-hand experience of work and insight into a range of roles required to run a business
- Insight into the career of local volunteer employees and the skills which are valued in the workplace
- In-depth understanding of how companies are organised and structured, the different roles and career opportunities that exist and the skills needed to fulfill specific roles
- Knowledge to explain how they have personally demonstrated specific employability skills using real experiences for inclusion in CVs and personal statements or when preparing for interviews
- A dedicated website called YE Online to help students, centre leads and advisers manage their company and share advice and guidance
- Comprehensive support materials and training
- Public liability insurance and legal structure provided by Young Enterprise
- Participate in trade fairs and sell to the public
- Take part in local competitions with the opportunity to compete at regional and national level
- Students take part in self assessment at the beginning and end of their Company experience
- On completing the programme students can join our UK wide Alumni network
Supports the school curriculum in the following areas:
- Contributes to a students’ study programme
- Provides a real life context to support business studies and applied business awards
- Contributes to a stable careers programme. It provides inspiration and raises aspirations through encounters with employers and employees
- Utilises Young Enterprise’s large established network of volunteers from a range of industries. YE volunteers are trained to work with young people and support the delivery of our programmes
- Provides a real business opportunity in the form of a business start up to explore a range of career opportunities and / or by expanding the student and school / college’s network
- Helps develop vital employability skills including: communication, confidence, financial capability, organisation, initiative, problem solving, resilience and teamwork
Supports the Welsh Curriculum:
- Careers and the world of work
- Personal and Social Education
- Provides an introduction to the enterprise and employability challenge element of the Welsh Baccalaureate
- Business Studies
View further information on how this programme supports good career guidance, employability and enterprise education.
Not quite ready for Company Programme?
Then check out Launch Pad – our programme for 14 – 19 year olds which provides an ideal introduction to business and the Company Programme over the course of a full or half day.
“Company Programme influenced my career path in a positive way, making me understand my strength and weaknesses in order to achieve my career goals.”
Want to know more?